Sunday, June 23, 2013

Vegan Double Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe


   Full of taste and perfect vegan chocolate cupcakes with a simple and basic recipe.
 
 I know, a vegan cupcake will never taste like a butter , egg, milk , buttermilk cupcake... If you agree , you havent tried this recipe yet.
A month ago I couldnt make any acceptable chocolate cupcakes , and now I am making vegan chocolate cupcakes... who knew!?


vegan chocolate cupcakes


My cousin asked me to make her some cupcakes , ( another bride and groom  cupcake batch!) but she wanted them vegan. I didnt make her any promises. I needed to find the best vegan recipe I could find, and I did! Now I will share it with you.

The original recipe was from Chow, the frosting recipe I did it on my own just from reading other recipes... sorry I don´t have a link for the original recipe, I promise I will find it for you later.

Note: Very very important! Do not try them the first hour... seriously! dont! In fact, make them a day or two before you serve them... they come out super pasty. Glue to your mouth, teeth and throat kind of pasty, I almost cried when I tasted them... they looked so beautiful! I then tasted them the day after, and they were much better, and the third day they were superbe! moist but firm and full of chocolate flavour.
I did some changes from the original recipe, I used coconut milk instead of soy milk and other little changes. But here it is a vegan recipe that will satisfy the need of chocolate of everyone; even the non vegan will love them!

You will need:

For the cupcakes: ( yields 12 cupcakes)

  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/3 cocoa powder ( I used Hershey´s)
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt.
For the chocolate frosting:

  • 1 stick good cuality margarine ( room temperature)
  • 2 cups icing sugar
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk 
  • 3/ 4 cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
To make them:

In a large bowl mix the coconut milk with the vinegar and let it curdle while you take out your other  ingredients and do the rest of the recipe.
Preheat your oven to 350º and prepare your tin with the muffin liners.
Use a bowl to sift together  the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda , baking powder and salt . 
Now add the vanilla, sugar and oil to the coconut bowl and using a handheld mixer mix them together until very well blended. 
Add half  of the dry ingredients, mix for a minute, then add the other half, mix until there are no lumps. 
Fill your liners 3/4 and bake them from 18 to 22 minutes, or until your toothpick on the center comes out clean . Take out of the oven and let cool for a few minutes, then transfer them to the cooling rack until they cooled completly. 
Now comes the hard part... put them in a container without putting them one on top of the other and wait for a day, or two. ( I stored them on my mini oven)

Make the frosting minutes before you serve them, or it will get to hard to pipe. 

To make the frosting use a stand up mixer and beat the margarine until smooth, then add the icing sugar little by little. By the end you will have a lumpy horrible looking frosting, not to worry, keep on beating, add the milk, mix it a little using a spatula, with your hand, then add the cocoa, mix it a little by hand , add the vanilla and beat again with the mixer on a medium speed until all ingredients are combined. Is it too thick? add some more coconut milk ( a teaspoon will do it) is it to runny? add some more icing sugar... Enjoy!


vegan chocolate cupcakes



 A big standing ovation for all you vegans out there!!! Who said you don´t enjoy your food? 
Next time make them these cupcakes and shut them up!






No comments:

Post a Comment